Wednesday, April 27, 2005

What's Going on Here?

I am going to translate the Gospel of John.

No, really.

What do I have? Well, like most translations of the Bible, there's a starting text. Most Bibles are a continuing heritage of a prior translation. The NRSV descends from the King James translation as do many others. The New Jerusalem Bible descends from the Jerusalem Bible, and both descend from a French translation. I'll be working off of Douay Rheims, a slightly older translation than the KJV.

I have the Vulgate at hand (Latin), and an Interlinear Greek text. I must first note that I am not qualified for this task in any way. I'm doing this for the simple fun, challenge, and inspiration at examining my favourite scripture as closely as I can. I cannot guarantee I will even finish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home